Monday, December 3, 2012

i think I am missing something here....

recently I have been career job hunting - hey at my age, sometimes it is just time to get a career job - dont get me wrong - i love being a nanny - but one day a week and sometimes not even that cant always pay the bills, a babysitter on the side is good extra money, and the spot - hey when the service is low, so is my paycheck... I went to school for one thing, working in fields nothing related to my dreams....
ok so....
on my walk with Domino I received a phone call....
i did state to her I was walking/working out - she asked if it was ok to continue with getting to know me a little and if she could ask me some ??s
sure
we chatted, she asked my experiences on building and creating activities
also asked my experience with retired seniors, two answers are complete opposites....
though I have a lifetime of experiences with creating activities i have very minimal volunteer experience with seniors....
ok - so the talk was going well, as she stated I was one of the very few resumes they picked to call she asks what would bring me to take an offer with them....
here is where I feel at times where people do not believe me, or I am one of a kind or so many "phony's" have walked into their life that I might just be another laugh to them - but I am truthful and sinsear, i do look for teamwork, great communication and constructed criticism which can build a team,
she proceeded to then tell me she doesn't feel I am fit for manager material
ok i said to her with a smile
she proceeds with she feels I am one they could build and develop into what they want but they are not looking for that right now, they are looking for a "already made" manager and I am not that....
ok - which at this point my thoughts of the conversation went from good to ok
i was confused - seeing the job as described was for one to create and develop activities for seniors and the company/home, where my confusion lies is - does she want to build me from the bottom into their "ideal" activities coordinator?
i mean i get it, I dont have managerial experience in this field....
as the convo. was ending - with a "i really want to call you again and meet you in person"
ok
and as we said goodbye....
here is my "other" i dont think people believe me or get me....
i hate - did i mention HATE the salary question....
especially in this economy, living in the bay area, with a $2000 rent bill - i HATE the salary question....
she asked what my expected pay would be
i stated it is open for discussion
she responded - lets discuss it now
i said, honestly I am open, throw me numbers and I can work with what you would like me to start with and if a raise is an option, great
she responded, that is not answering the question or helping me....
I stated, $11 minimal
*i figured with minimum wage currently being $8/hr and going up to $10/hr in jan, this would be a good start*
with a chuckle from the other end she said, that and this is not helping me, give me a range and tell me what you really want
i said, I am sorry I really am open to discuss back and forth hourly numbers
and I was cut off with "what was your highest paying job and was it worth it?"
I said $15/hr and no I could have received more
she states, "whats your ideal??" "give me your price, your dream number?"
*i so tried not to snap back, feeling bombarded by a conversation I hate having and I said "18, $18/hr would be great!!start me with minimal $11/hr and build me to $18 or more"
with a hahahaha she ends the phone call and says "thats what I wanted to hear" *chuckle *chuckle, goodbye Eva

SO CONFUSED how that all ended!!

No comments:

Post a Comment